Monday, May 17, 2010

Snot, snot and more snot...

Similar to last fall, when Eric last did contract work, Liam has spent the majority of his time in daycare being sick. The first week he threw up all over his crib and sheets. The second week he was sent home with a fever. And as many of you know, kids have to remain fever-free for 24 hours being you can return to daycare.

When I dropped off Liam at school this last week and heard several of the teachers and students coughing up something fierce, I knew that the odds of him escaping the week "bug" free would be minimal. Especially when I saw Baby C (I will protect her tiny identity) come up to Liam with a double snotty nose and love on Liam's bottle.

On Saturday morning Liam woke up for the first time with his eye crusted shut. He was frantic, partially because I am sure he was scared. And it the worst feeling as a parent to feel like you can't help your child. I would take every illness in the book if it would spare Liam any grief. So Saturday was all about trying to keep his fever down, his eye gunk-free and his nose minimally runny. By the afternoon, we decided to take him into a weekend walk-in clinic. There we were told that it was not pink eye, but rather a sinus infection that had partially manifested itself in his eye. After receiving some amoxicillan we were on the road to recovery. Or so we thought...

Week three began today with a call from Liam's daycare. Apparently his eye was so swollen that he couldn't even open it. The gunk, which had started to subside, was now making its ugly return. So after an afternoon trip to his regular pediatrician, he was diagnosed with an ear infection AND an eye infection. Sigh. Poor baby is a little doped up on meds these days. He kind of reminds me of that kid that was posted on You Tube after returning home from the dentist. It was a bad sign when (some of you may remember his affinity to look at his reflection in our stainless steel trash can) he kept trying to crawl into the trash can and was making babbling conversation with "that baby" looking back at him. He is now on a different antibiotic, eye drop, allergy medicine and any fever reducer/pain killer that might be needed to help curb his teething.

A picture from this evening.

You should see the other guy.

2 comments:

Amy said...

awwww, he looks so pitiful. (cute, but pitiful). no wonder we haven't had coffee this week. praying for you guys.

Steph said...

I hope he feels better soon and hope your situation changes so poor Liam can be disease bag (eh hem, I mean daycare) free! Sending all our love and prayers!